How You Can Help
Become a member
Wed, Sep 5 2018 - Aster Lake (View Original Event Details)|
(To see who coordinated the hike, log in to the Member Area)
|Participants:||(To see who hiked, log in to the Member Area)|
The online TRAILPEAK directions are incorrect. The description for the Hidden Lake trailhead
is no longer
a large opening that looks like a fork. It is also shorter than the 5.5km from the parking lot.
DIRECTIONS TO ASTER LAKE
- Park in the Upper Kananaskis Parking Lot (Same one as used to access Rawson Lake).
- Follow the lakeside trail along the lake for about 4.5 km (about 1 ½ hours at a brisk pace)
You will see the lake as you walk along the pathway.
- When the Kananaskis Lake pathway veers away from the lake and you can no longer see
the lake as you walk along, you will know you are nearing the turnoff for Aster Lake. You will
be walking uphill.
- The trailhead for Aster Lake Trail is at the top of a rise and on your left. If you miss the
turnoff, you will immediately see a bridge.
- There are two possible routes from this trailhead, but they both start at the same
location. Both trails are well defined, though the shoreline trail fades out a bit at times, but is
easy to relocate.
- Option 1: This trail is accessed at your first sighting of Hidden Lake. It follows the
shoreline from one end of the lake to the other. At the far end of the lake, look for a large
boulder and then a path leading to the left and up the hill. Follow this path up hill until you
reach a rubble field ahead of you.
- Option 2: This trail meanders up and down through the hillside above the lake and is the
best trail to use in early season when the lake water covers the shoreline trail. The shoreline
trail joins this trail at the far end of the lake.
- From the rubble field, turn right and follow a well defined pathway up the rocky mountain
side. This trail leads to Fossil Falls, Aster Lake and continues on to Northover Ridge.
Have some photos from this event that you'd like to share in our photo album?
Please forward them to Photo Historian at email@example.com.
Please note that we prefer to receive the photos in full size as a .jpg file
However, please recognize that we will re-size the photos to below 4MB.
Therefore, if other members choose to download your photos, they will receive the photos at below 4MB.
If you have a LOT of photos, please submit up to twenty favorites (only) for a day event.
Or up to forty of your favourites for a multi-day event. Thank you.
PLEASE: send files in emails as "attachments."
DO NOT: send photos "embedded" in the email. Thank you.